I always notice awesome recap posts from a lot of my favorite bloggers, but for some reason the beginning and ending of months always seem so busy for me, and blogging is on the backburner. Not today!
I'm subbing at a middle school, and the end of the year is c-r-a-z-y. I found myself praying that they would be watching a movie as I drove in today. Instead of a movie, I got the next best thing. They're playing with ipads! I will take it.
Plus, it's a half day, so I'm off at 11:30. This means I can meet my dear friend, Lesli for lunch since she is in town today!
Anyway, on to my recap. I'm going to do this recap Lisa style and reflect on meals, miles, books and looks of May.
Last night was our May Books n' Bars meeting and we met at a new(ish) restaurant downtown called Gramercy Tap. Unfortunately, I did not get a photo of my meal... I was positively starving when I got there right after a run with See-Us Run Des Moines, so I was not very conscious of health food when I ordered. I got the Gramercy burger, which had blue cheese and bacon, with a side of fries. Not the most elegant meal, but it sure was tasty!
Other memorable meals this month included a delicious brunch (after a beautiful wedding) at Americana, and cooking at home a couple times with Bill - including one amazingly delicious grill out. The first of the season!
(Our eyes were a tad bigger than our stomachs when we shopped for this meal... we've got asparagus, corn on the cob, bacon wrapped sirloins, stuff peppers and mushrooms. Omg, this was so good.)
This month I have logged 70 miles, and I am pretty pleased with that! I wish I had a little more under my belt, but I haven't been tracking my miles as closely as I did last year. I would say I'm doing the bare minimum in preparation for Dam to Dam (which is tomorrow! Eek!) but, I am confident I will pull off a PR. I have a few goals for myself, but I honestly am keeping them to myself... when I recap my race next week I am sure I will clue you all in on what they are!
(after Dam to Dam last year. I cannot wait to see what the race holds for me tomorrow!)
I am so thankful I have kept up with reading this spring. Reading really keeps me calm and centered. It's my "me" time and I am not willing to give it up!
Here is what I read, with a link to my Goodreads review:
- Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Fowler - I really enjoyed learning more about Zelda Fitzgerald. This book will make you not really like F. Scott Fitzgerald though - I think that's pretty common though from all biographies of this couple.
- Slammed by Colleen Hoover - Love, love, loved this book! Definitely recommend this book to almost anyone, but especially fans of John Green
- Someday, Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham - this book was just "ehhhh" for me.
- Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover - the 2nd book in the Slammed trilogy. This book wasn't as good as Slammed, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it!
- The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult - I literally just finished this book, and haven't even written my review on Goodreads. But, OMG. It was fantastic. I loved it. I don't know why I keep putting myself through the sadness of books profiling the Holocaust, but I do. This was such a memorable story and I absolutely recommend it.
I didn't take too many OOTD's for the month of May, but I did have a few memorable looks including graduation, my best friend's wedding and a few teacher looks!
(after my graduation ceremony with my boyfriend, Bill)
(Such a beautiful, surprise wedding!)
(I finally succumbed to the leggings under dresses look. Leggings are so necessary in the classroom!)
(The photo from my teaching portfolio - so teacher-ish! Ha!)
How was your month??